Asteria Hype

Chat to other forum members about RPG-X related topics.

harry young
Legendary Advisor
Legendary Advisor

Re: Asteria Hype

Post#11 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:48 pm

You want a challenge, griffin? It's löooking like Asteria is heading fo a 15 Character RP at r-p-o.de ^^

Unfortunately that's all the hype for this post ;)

As far as concerns for the server go heres a little guessimation from a dev: RPG-X is still fairly easy on hardware Requirements due to it's engines age. A dedi-Server usually does not consume more than .5GB of ram, and usually far less. On that end it'll be more taxing on Clients since textures and such have to be loaded and we're basically running on the base game renderer with some improvements.

My concern is hitting one of the engines many narrow limitations such as the Brushent-Limit: just 512 entities, clients included, can be (potentially) visible on a map at a time. Even getting close to that tends to screw the game pretty bad.

The overall Entity-Limit is 4096 if I'm not mistaken, and with the functions Griffin has developed, most of that is probably in use as well.

With that in mind, I'm looking forward to an awesome map to explore solo or in a minor group. The minute it get's any substantial load, I expect it to crash.

Sorry if I ruin your parade ;)

Griffin Endurance
The Griffster
The Griffster

Post#12 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks for all the activity guys. OK question time, I agree with Harry, the map pushes on the boundary of pretty much every RPG-X limitation from brush count to entities so it remains to be seen if the map is going to push back. It is however quite a good idea to do an open beta as it would allow for better testing. Bugs like missing textures or broken entities should not be in the map as I am rigorous with looking for these details its all going to be about whether the map will actually run with people on it. It has been designed for the paris version of tlo up to beta 8.4.8. It works OK in single player but don't be surprised if you need a fairly decent pc to run it. It doesn't run on my laptop or my wall mounted workstation so a desktop will be needed.

I have taken two days off of my work for this release, today to get it ready and tomorrow to take a look at any immediate bugs. If you are having problems loading the map and getting players online post as much info as you can here and as the .bsp map file is in a separate pk3 i can just ship a few new versions removing more functionality until the map is more stable.

Those that watched my behind the scenes video will know that the bonus map was originally going to be an Academy training ship, after careful thought I decided to scrap that and then created part of a modern Asteria station, kind of a predecessor to this one. It looked like the ISS and was all zero G but decided to scrap that.

At the moment I think I am going to be going with a cargo ship. Its features are going to expand on the "linear progressive circuit" approach that I used for Asteria's docking sequence and shuttle pods. Small ship with one deck but lots of functionality.

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

EDIT: Doesn't work with ultimate edition of tlo have just checked. I did mention either on my blog or on one of my videos a while back that I couldn't get it working with the latest version of RPG-X or recent releases and that I would release station leto for those, so just a heads up guys.

http://www.griffinendurance.com/2013/10 ... -17102013/

Martin Thompson
Legendary Advisor
Legendary Advisor

Post#13 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 am

I too am looking forward to playing the completed version of the map.

As far as RPG-X Versions go, The Last Outpost now uses the newest and latest version 2.3.

We recently released an all-in-one installer which installs RPG-X 2.3 in one neat pack. That is also the version our servers use currently and is still in active development by some of the guys over at Ubergames. If you want to check it out you can find it on the last-outpost.net website.
Elderly Person at TLO

Griffin Endurance
The Griffster
The Griffster

Post#14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 am

Ahhhhhh ROFL well that causes issues ROFL The Asteria page and readme has been updated with "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH RPG-X V2.3" ROFL oppps. oh well new it was coming.

Martin Thompson
Legendary Advisor
Legendary Advisor

Post#15 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 am

I already informed the guys over at TLO about this issue.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to get you into contact with GSIO about the problem and see if you can trace down why exactly Asteria isn't working on 2.3.
Elderly Person at TLO

Griffin Endurance
The Griffster
The Griffster

Post#16 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

It seems to be a problem referring to the number of references or variables. As we move into 2.3 we start to see more functionality come in which has more declared variables such as the ship health system ect. These added variables designed to add functionality limit the number of custom variables and booleon's you can have on the map. The solution is simple, remove variables from the map which means entity removal. Unless they can locate and up this limit Asteria will never work in its current form past V2.2.

I was able to test this quite easily by removing the .usables and .locations scripts from the map folder. .usables contains a list of strings that get loaded into memory I assume when the map loads and that allow you to scan the func_usables and it displays the string. Remove this and the map might load. I assume that the health, turbolift and alert ect entities use some kind of global variables that are loaded regardless of whether or not the entities are present in the map. These variables are then set to nothing as the map doesn't have some of those entities for example but its still coming out of the stored variable limit. So the more functionality added in this fashion the smaller the var count for your map.

Now I cant confirm any of this as I don't have the source and have no idea how it works behind the scenes all I know is the behavior of the map and roughly how each feature would have been implemented. I am just drawing conclusions really but it seems to make sence.

Corentin196
Ensign
Ensign

Post#17 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:13 am

callum603 wrote:Does your group have it's own server still?? I'm sure my members wouldn't mind lending the server out for one night if you need one.

Unfortunately we do not own a server anymore as it has been a long time since we last played RPG-X together (most members left for more STO active fleets :(). But I'll try to scrap one of my old laptop into a temporary dedicated server. Still that's very kind of you Callum.

Griffin Endurance wrote:Asteria will never work in its current form past V2.2.

So as I understand it the map will run with rpgxEF 2.2b8.4.4, but not with 2.3? It's good that I never did the update then :D

Griffin Endurance
The Griffster
The Griffster

Post#18 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:19 am

Corentin196 wrote:So as I understand it the map will run with rpgxEF 2.2b8.4.4, but not with 2.3? It's good that I never did the update then :D

Yes it should work with that, not sure how many people you can get on there but let me know when you try it lol

Torinth BLor
Ensign
Ensign

Post#19 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:38 pm

ufplanets.com have a dedicated server running 2.2 beta 2 just waiting for the map now... 5 or so hours to go! yay!

Lead RPG-X Game Moderator

harry young
Legendary Advisor
Legendary Advisor

Post#20 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Griffin Endurance wrote:It seems to be a problem referring to the number of references or variables. As we move into 2.3 we start to see more functionality come in which has more declared variables such as the ship health system ect. These added variables designed to add functionality limit the number of custom variables and booleon's you can have on the map. The solution is simple, remove variables from the map which means entity removal. Unless they can locate and up this limit Asteria will never work in its current form past V2.2.

I was able to test this quite easily by removing the .usables and .locations scripts from the map folder. .usables contains a list of strings that get loaded into memory I assume when the map loads and that allow you to scan the func_usables and it displays the string. Remove this and the map might load. I assume that the health, turbolift and alert ect entities use some kind of global variables that are loaded regardless of whether or not the entities are present in the map. These variables are then set to nothing as the map doesn't have some of those entities for example but its still coming out of the stored variable limit. So the more functionality added in this fashion the smaller the var count for your map.

Now I cant confirm any of this as I don't have the source and have no idea how it works behind the scenes all I know is the behavior of the map and roughly how each feature would have been implemented. I am just drawing conclusions really but it seems to make sence.

You're not that far off. The .usables just generates a table (as the .turbolift would do) and the .locations at this time is just feeding a spawnscript for the target_locations taht mostly helps keep the map a little cleaner.

As far as .23-compability goes: Bummer. But I think we can find a sulution to that, it might just take a joint efford Between Gsio, me and Griff. I've been out of dev for a while, but I'm moving back in some time next week (got some plans to enhance the chat)

As far as the source goes: Knock yourself out ;) https://github.com/UberGames/rpgxEF

Return to “General Chat”